At one point or another everyone has trouble sleeping, but for millions of people chronic insomnia is an everyday reality that has a negative impact on their quality of life. If you have chronic insomnia there are things that you can do to try and manage your insomnia and make it easier to get sleep:
1. Start getting ready for bed at least half an hour before bedtime- In order to be relaxed enough to fall asleep you should stop doing any kind of stimulating activities at least half an hour before you want to fall asleep. Take a hot bath, read a book, meditate, or do something else that is relaxing so that your mind will start to quiet down and get ready to rest.
2. Make your bedroom as relaxing as possible – Don’t do anything but sleep or relax in your bedroom. Get a comfortable bed and pile it with pillows and blankets that are comfortable and make you feel relaxed. Use soft, muted colors on the walls and put up pictures or decorations that help you feel relaxed.
3. Don’t have a TV in the bedroom- Watching TV before you sleep won’t help you sleep. It will make your mind more active and even if you fall asleep you won’t stay asleep as long as you need to and you won’t get the kind of deep, restorative sleep that you need in order to feel refreshed.
4. If you can’t fall asleep get up and do something else – One of the biggest mistakes people make when they can’t sleep is lying in bed trying to force themselves to sleep. Go to bed at the same time every night and if you can’t sleep after a half an hour get up and do something else until you’re tired. When you lie in bed and you can’t sleep you will become more and more stressed out thinking about how you can’t sleep so it’s best to just get up, read a book, watch a movie or do something else until you feel tired.
5. Have a cup of tea – Herbal teas can help you feel relaxed and sleepy at bedtime so try drinking a cup of fragrant herbal tea before bed if you are having trouble relaxing enough to get some sleep.